[pct-l] authors' merits

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Mon Oct 16 21:34:30 CDT 2006

Hey Iron Chef.

I had realized that Funnybone was most likely trying (too hard) to be funny, though such humor is better left at the table he was talking over then posted publicly.  I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't mean it as a personal attack.  And yes, I thought the attacks on him were overboard since he is on the trail and hasn't really had a chance to digest/respond to all the "postive" feedback I'm sure he has been receiving.  So yes, everyone should just step back, take a deep breath and let things calm down for awhile.

However, your "defense" of him for some reason left me feeling irritated and made me want to shift into an attack posture against him.  After realizing this, I had to step back and consider why I was feeling that way.

Your whole "neutral" defense actually seemed to be condescending and a bit belittling to me.  I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but that is how it came accross to me and since you were defending funnybone, I started to associate your words with him which wasn't fair to him.

The comments that seem to put me off the most were mainly these.  One, the only person who had an issue of Yogi being a waitress (though an extremely overeducated one) was funnybone's journal entry.  No one here had a bad comment about it (unless I missed it or perhaps skipped over it as being beneath my notice).  Though I have a master's degree, it is in engineering not literature, but somehow I had missed all these so-called advance vocab words (perhaps your bar is a bit low) that I needed to look up.  Maybe my brain automatically filters those out to spare me a headache later or to protect me from spraining my wrist as I try to haphazardly reach behind me for that large hardback dictionary. Actually, I started reading his journal, not for the superior command of language that he shows, but rather because he was one of the first people out on the trail so there wasn't much competition at the time, he had hiked it before and therefor I thought he might have some unique insights, he was taking it slow so might give more detailed coverage to areas that others would skip over very quickly in their descriptions, and he was occasionally funny (though some of his opinions seem to negatively balance that out).  Somehow, when you discussed these issues, I felt like I was being put down.

Now these were just my reaction to everything and not anyone else's and I would never dream to project my feelings on everyone else here.  That would require a broader brush then I actually own (I only have those 1" foam brushes that Home Depot sells for $.50)  After all, it's a Read your Own Text Forum (ROTF) world.  So take these comments with a grain of salt since I have to assume that I'm the only one who had a negative reaction here.  I'm sure you didn't mean to come off putting anyone down.  But please remember, watch out for those general attacks on the American population (99%!?  Oh please, I live where everyone speaks Spanish, Chinese or Korean and often wonder why I learned English instead of Spanish.  Surely, that number is more like 96% and rapidly falling thanks to documently challenged immigration.  Funnybone himself commented on how he was almost overrun by the nightly stampede near Campo).

Oh, and one final comment.  In writing, it is far easier to be engaging when trying for humor then when trying for a serious tone which may be the real reason Funnybone has so many journal hits and not his SAT vocabulary.  Though I seem to fail at both.  Maybe it's because I always try to mix humor and seriousness together and that never seems to work.

Now I'm sure I was far more entertained by this then anyone else was so I'll furtively(ouch, my wrist just started to hurt) go back to that rock I was hiding under.

-Sean
(or if there are already too many Sean's on this forum, Miner will do for now though I'm not sure I want that as a trailname yet. While it is a nickname I picked up on a backpacking trip, it quickly evolved and sunk into the sewer once it was revealed that I was born in 69.  I'm not sure I want that sort of thing associated with my good name).