[pct-l] RE Official

Adam Bradley tooloouk79852 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 19:25:04 CDT 2006

Listo must ask, What is official on the PCT?  Or any
trail for that matter.  Did I not get a copy of the
official PCT thru hiking handbook with all the
official rules of a thru hike?  Where does it say you
have to filter water, carry two pairs of shoes, a
plastic barrell or ice axe, emergency beacon, flare
gun, axe....

Official?  Give me a break.  I argue there is no
official.

Listo Del Norte

Officially, hiking with a bear canister is the only
acceptable
suggestion
that can be made, like filtering/treating water.  It
MUST be
recommended,
whether it's really necessary or not.  Like an
ice-axe, they're safety
precautions that must be made in any official guide,
regardless of the
author's personal opinions.  I don't think peer
pressure is a factor.