[pct-l] Official

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Tue Oct 17 22:24:43 CDT 2006

In the context of food storage, there *are* official rules enforced by
Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park, Inyo National Forest, and Yosemite
National Park (at least).  Using SIBBG-approved canisters in many areas
of these parks/forests is not just a suggestion or recommendation--it is
the law of the land, even (with a few exceptions) for thru-hikers.
Since improper food storage can result in hefty federal fines, that's
about as official as it gets.

Of course, many other things are "official" on the PCT: no pets or guns
in the National Parks, no mechanized transportation in the wilderness
areas, no leaving food in cars parked overnight at certain Sierra
trailheads, no fishing without a valid license, no wood fires above a
certain elevation, no camping near certain lakes, no overnight
backcountry camping without a permit, no entry into the Whitney Zone
without a Whitney endorsement...

These are hardly onerous regulations.