[pct-l] RE Official

Adam Bradley tooloouk79852 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 13:34:01 CDT 2006

This is some of the official hub bub I hear about non
stop before I set out this year.  You will be breaking
the law, rangers will fine you, arrest you, flog you
and make you leave the park.  Of course that was all a
bunch of hogwash.  for example:

1.  in a high snow year rangers hibernate like the
bears do and do not wait on top of forrester to nab
thru hikers.  instead the spend their time down in the
valley where all the kooks are.

2.  the rangers when they do make it into the
backcountry aren't out cracking thru hikers skulls.  I
hiked with several people who did run into a lone
ranger and he asked for the thru permit.  didn't ask
about bear barrel.  when asked why not the ranger
stated "you guys are thru hikers and are on a
different mission than the rest of folks we see so no
worries."

3.  moral of the story, yes it is illegal.  no, not
everyone who ignores the law gets busted.

4.  another very important point.  when listening or
working with government agencies regarding the pct you
the "thru" hiker must determine what route you want to
take.  skip several hundred miles of trail due to a
fire 12 miles off trail?  not finish the PCT because
of a fire?  its up to you.  do you want to finish.  do
you want to go light?  are you thinking for yourself?

5.  My man sly has been getting antsy about my
Mythbusters... I have to warn everyone this is a work
in progress.  I won't post them here.  They will be on
my own website.  I will give a sneak peak as to some
of the things I will be writing about.

The guidebook and its accuracy, opinions
San Jacinto/ Not marked well?
Water Caches/ a call for clean hiking
Fires/ ignore closures or not
Bear Barrels/ think for yourself
necessary equipment for the sierras and san jacinto/
are snowshoes and crampons needed?
post holing/ hear a lot about it but does it really
happen?
betting trail angels pints of ben and jerries/  who to
bet , who welches
ultralight pack manufacturers/ who stands behind their
warranty, who doesn't, who can repair/ who can't

man that is just off the top of my head so im sure
there are some I missed.

Listo Del Norte