[pct-l] Ice-axe VS poles

bluebrain at bluebrain.ca bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Thu Oct 19 14:55:44 CDT 2006

'm sure this has come up before, so please pardon my likely redundant
question.

Doesn't an ice-axe have to be held and both hands available to grab it
when sliding for it to be effective? Since most of us use trekking poles,
wouldn't that mean you'd have to abandon them, making it harder to balance
in the snow?

How many of you who've been through before would carry an axe next time?

I don't want to start a debate on the subject, I just would like some idea
of how many will "actually" carry one.  ;-)

When I went through the sierras the snow was sun cupped everywhere.  I
couldn't imagine any potential for slipping and going for a slide, there
simply wasn't enough smooth snow surface.

- Paul