[pct-l] Falls before Sonora Pass

Jack Haskel hikerunion at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 10:39:12 CDT 2006

Yep, yep, yep.  This fall account sounds pretty familiar. I too fell at, I
think, the very same spot this year. In fact, four out of six hikers that I
was around fell right here.

- I was the only one with my ice axe off my pack and I successfuly self
arrested (my first self arrest ever). Good thing because of those rocks.

- One hiker slipped, splayed out kissing the snow and managed to stop her
fall after just a few feet of sliding.

- One hiker slipped, built up speed and then managed to turn it in to a
guided glissade, narrowly missing the rock band below. I didn't see this.

- Another hiker, that I didn't see, fell and had a serious cartwheel. Head
over heels, and over and over again. Luckily, she somehow escaped without
hitting the rocks or sustaining serious injury. It was a very close call I
heared.

Anyways, point is, TAKE your ice axe off your pack!! Also, don't send it
home at Tuolumne. Some hikers did that. In general, people who weren't
carrying an axe, said they still thought it was a good decision. I think
that's because they survived this time without incident. It's still bad
judgement.

In my experience, the ice axe was actually most important around Sonora Pass
(north and south of it), on some of the major sierra passes and on Dick's
Pass in Desolation. Dicks for me was super scary, very firm ice/snow with no
purchase and no prints. I didn't have an axe or crampons but definitely
should have. If it's a big snow year, I'd recommend keeping your axe until
Truckee/pooh's.