[pct-l] pct-l Digest, Vol 36, Issue 22

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Oct 22 18:58:42 CDT 2006

Oh so true!

When I took my mountaineering training with the Ptarmigens Mountaineering Club lo those many years ago, part of our ice axe training on Mt Hood was repeated falls (on a slope with a safe runout) from all 4 likely positions: feet-first on your belly (the easiest to stop), head-first on your belly (at least you can see where you'll end up if you don't get that darn pick into the snow FAST), feet-first on your back (must remember to keep crampons up OFF the snow while trying to turn over), and head-first on your back (the hardest arrest and one that scares the @#$& out of me, even on a safe runout).

Instructors walked up beside us during a series of traverses and tripped or knocked us sidewise when we weren't expecting it. Their salient point was this - you won't be expecting the fall when it happens for real. Your response needs to be instinctive, or at worst reflexive. There's no time to think it through once you're sliding.

Another point - unpracticed skills quickly degrade. Get back on the slopes and practice before you go out there the following year.

Or, you can simply ape the old "hike your own hike" line. It's your call. The life you save may be your own.

Bob