[pct-l] Guide Books

Bill Jensen bjensen at hswenterprises.com
Thu Oct 26 14:52:19 CDT 2006

At the risk of beating a subject to death, I will give my opinion.  Back
in 1977, all we had was the early versions of the PCT guidebooks (for
way finding), The High Adventure of Eric Ryback (for inspiration), and a
book by Chuck Long (for planning).  Chuck's book was comprised of about
30 surveys (most incomplete) from the the earliest thru-hikers.  It was
the best (and only) source of info, but when compared to the amount of
information available today on the internet, it is laughable.

We ended up with about 15 mailed drops and no town stops (unless they
were on the trail) or drift boxes.  The times between resupply points
averaged between 10 and 15 days.  To say that we could have used a book
such as Yogi's to help with our planning is putting it mildly.