[pct-l] prep for JMT--advice?

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Thu Oct 26 23:02:04 CDT 2006

Monica!

I was going through my recent email and wasn't sure if I had responded to
your questions, here.

For the most part, in the High Sierra, from July into August you can expect
snow on the passes, whether in patches or fields.  The problem will be
deciding if the patches will be dangerous enough (those with rocks or cliffs
at the bottom) to warrant carrying and using, if even for a brief time
crossing the patch/field, an ice axe for self-arrest, should you slip and
fall and take off sliding.  Tough call since you can't know how much will be
there until you are there!

For years hikers have traveled the high trails mid-summer without protection
and never needed it as they relied upon heavy-lugged boots for traction,
kicking good footholds in the snow for stability for each footstep, and,
where available, climbing and descending (the most hazardous of the two) in
others' footsteps.  If conditions are worse than you expected when you get
there, you'll be glad you've got the axe (and know and have practiced how to
use it!) to stop yourself from hitting the rocks should you loose it, just
have it in hand (the up-hill one!) when the slope looks tricky.

Know yourself, what you can tolerate, what makes you scared, and what your
skills can do for you before you go and have a great time in God's Country!

Mtnned

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com