[pct-l] Sensationalist

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 4 15:58:08 CDT 2006

> It doesn't matter where I live, but the date I'd pick to
> start the trail,
> which would be the last weekend in April regardless of the
> Kick Off.

But... but, there's a big difference between most hikers
starting at Campo within two weeks of each other, and many
hikers starting out from Lake Morena on the same day
following a large social gathering. Previous to the KOP
hikers sort of trickled north, whereas now they flood,
denuding the trail of vegetation and leaving a tangled mass
of destruction in their wake.

Is it that bad yet? Probably not, but the KOP is a focal
point for a more concentrated impact on the southern PCT,
for a clannishness among hikers that creates and maintains
larger groups heading north, and for an AT-style high
starting head count based around the philosophy of safety
and comfort in numbers.

I've been to a KOP event, and thought it was a great time,
with good company. I wasn't heading north that year, though.
And had I been, I don't think I'd have timed my hike to
include the KOP... My memories of a lonely and pristine
trail corridor are still too vivid and magical.

- blisterfree