[pct-l] the obligations of a lifestyle

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Tue Sep 5 11:27:32 CDT 2006

    Well, said, Ken. I don't know why I go hiking; I just do. It started in
'78 when I'd driven in all 48 contiguous states, and backroads in half; I
picked up a very early Backpacker on a newstand, and read about AT thru-hikers.
I've never done a thru-hike, but I've section hiked a modest 4,500+ miles since:
AT 2000, CO Trail 2006, p/o PCT, p/o CDT, all of Big Bend Nat'l Park's named
trails, p/o Guadalupe Mtns Nat'l Pk's named trails, and a smidgen elsewhere.
    Am I bragging? No, it's meaningless to most people, including most of
you, but means everything to just me. It doesn't get me rich, or famous, or fed,
or laid, or sheltered, or anything else. Everytime I start uphill on a new
section hike, there's always that moment when I ask myself why the hell am I
doing this, and 5-10 minutes later there's no further negative thoughts. I still
can't explain why to anyone, and don't try; it's just my drummer.

I'm missing only Backpacker #5; if someone wants to give it up, I'll pay a
premium.
Bob "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of Texas