[pct-l] Stehekin Fire

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Sat Sep 9 12:14:21 CDT 2006

I have been reliably informed of the following, which I've paraphrased:

The Flicker fire that threatens Stehekin has been burning all summer,
slowly creeping down the hill towards town. The terrain was too steep
to build fire line. But after it got below the 3,000' elevation, the
ground is less steep, and the plan was to fight it when it got there.
Now, however, firefighting resources are thin. Last I heard they had
one helicopter. This is a tough fire to fight and there were probably
few alternatives to this situation.

[end of paraphrase]

This year has already surpassed 2000 to become the second worst
forest fire year in history and will likely surpass 2005 next week
(if it hasn't already) to become the worst ever.   We are talking
more than 4,800,000 acres here.   As we hike through the western
forests, we need to do so as if we are visiting a beloved friend we
may never see again.   We need to observe the fuel load in these
forests, the beetle killed trees the dead fall on the ground, the
enforced neglect of vast tracts of forests and seriously consider if
we are taking the right path in terms of public policy.

http://tiee.ecoed.net/vol/v3/issues/frontier_sets/yellowstone/img/
forest_fire[HR].jpg

Wayne Kraft