[pct-l] Thru-hiking with a dog

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 12 17:17:19 CDT 2006

I wrote:

I'll dig around and try to find some resource links from previous
threads on the subject.

Based on many stories I've heard and journals I've read over the years,
I think the people who have the most success attempting a thru-hike with
a dog are either people who don't really care if they finish in one year
and thus can move more slowly, or people who have ready transportation
available for their dog so they can put their dog off the trail and
bring it back on again on an instant's notice.

The best way for you to be informed about the risks and opportunities is
to talk to people who have actually tried it.  I see that Lonetrail
already shared the email address for True and Timber (2004).  You might
also try corresponding with Darrell and Betsy who hiked with their dog
Sitka in 2004.  Their email address is (or was) DjgPct at aol.com.  Here's
how their attempt turned out: