[pct-l] Thru-hiking with a dog

Marshall Karon m.karon at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 21:15:20 CDT 2006

The worst sections for dogs are those without shade and water and those that
are very hot. If you start from the North, for the most part you have water,
shade, and reduced heat. However, if there is lots of snow, post holing can
be terrible for dogs - and the ice can cut their paws (you can get booties).
There are some very long, waterless sections in southern Oregon and around
the Hat Creek Rim in California, but otherwise it might not be so bad. But,
I wouldn't take the dog south of Lake Tahoe, if that far. Once you reach
Sonora Pass you get into National Parks - no dogs. And then, you get into
extreme heat and desert.

Be kind to your dog.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR