[pct-l] Trail/Hiker concers answered?

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Thu Sep 14 18:32:43 CDT 2006

- simple permit process
    -  more bear boxes
    -  possibility of backcountry resupply at Ranger Stations...
    -  trail signage and mileage accuracy

All of the above are good questions needing answers or deserving thought. A
simple one would be to add more bear boxes in the missing PCT sections of
Yosemite and Kings Canyon NP to allow the Thruhikers to feel more legal for
not carrying a can. I remember that the 50+ northernmost PCT miles in KCNP
have no bear boxes. Remote resupply options would be an added icing on the
cake... however toogoodtobetrue... Trail signage and mileage accuracy seems
like a non issue to the experienced adventurer.. I just finished a few miles
on the PCT in Washington, and I heard a 2006 Thruhiker mention he had seen
only 1 wilderness ranger during his full hike (Sierra). I saw none in
Washington, even tho I got a Wilderness permit at each sign in TH box I saw.
Wilderness Rangers seem to be another disappearing tradition with the usfs..