[pct-l] Ice axe

csxii at schizoaffective.org csxii at schizoaffective.org
Thu Sep 21 22:29:49 CDT 2006

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:42:55 -0700, Corky Corcoran <corcoran at corky.cc>
had this to say:

>Hi,
>
>Basically all ice axes of the type used for chopping steps,
>self-arrest and belaying are the same, at least as far as I
>know.  The only real differences are length and weight.
>
>You want as light as possible.  Most of the time it is dead weight.

I've got a Black Diamond Ice Axe, I think it's the called the Raven
pro.  It's light and made with titanium.  I had to use it to self
arrest a couple of times last spring while descending Mount Ellinor in
Olympic National Forest.    This was in snow with no ice.

On one occasion I was using it as an anchor while glissading but went
out of control and was starting to tumble down the mountain, the axe
was ripped out of my left hand but I held on to it with my right hand
and managed full self arrest with the Axe.  That was scary, I  kissed
my ice axe and silently thanked the person who taught me how to use
it.