[pct-l] Viewed from A FAR fire Damage Southern C

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Mon Sep 25 11:58:08 CDT 2006

Damn.

The I-10 to Hwy 38 is the next segment I need to hike....and my first available weekend to do so is this one.

It looks as if my entire hike will be through a burn area. I hate that. If it wasn't the PCT, I wouldn't even consider hiking this, but since it is, and since info about the current condition of the trail is of interest to so many, I'm thinking of going up this weekend.

Anyone out there interested in joining me? I've got a shuttle set up, so I can do this solo if necessary.

Couple Questions:

1) Would the trail be visible after such a burn? Will it be obvious among the burn? The sections of burn I've walked so far have generally burned long enough before I walked, that the trail was very obvious. But it would seem that few, if any, have hiked this since the fires.

2) What about water? AsABat's water page indicate 9 possible water sources along this segment, the longest distance between two- Whitewater to Mission Creek is only 6 miles. As of August 1st, many of these have been reported as "flowing well". As I would assume that most of these traditionally dry up by September, the fact that they were "flowing well" as of August 1 may indicate that they may still be flowing enough to rely on?

I'll post all the info I find out when I get back. Should I forward to anyone in particular?

Michael Saenz ,  Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE          MVE    Institutional         MVE    S t u d i o
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m
I r v i n e              O a k l a n d              H o n o l u l u