[pct-l] Sonora Pass fall

Lonetrail at aol.com Lonetrail at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 16:00:25 CDT 2006

I could not find the original post from Tom. I even went to the archives.  So
let me give my story in on Sonora Pass. Sonora Pass is my favorite pass.  It
was not as exciting as some of the posts that I have been reading by Surge
and others. But It is one my high lights of the PC .

First I saw a sign as I was starting my up saying pass will be closed if  the
wind got to I believe 50 miles and hour. If I am wrong correct me. The  wind
must have been pretty close because some decided to go around the pass. I
wanted to stay on the PC so I went ahead .I found snow on top which was blowing
in every direction. On top the trail goes into "S" turns and the wind blows up
 one canyon and immediately hits a cross wind from the other side. I  was
picked me up of my feet thrown about and luckily the snow was  soft . The walk
down was never ending as I arrived on route 108 I  started to hitch hike down
and the group that went around just  got out of  a car from hitch hiking up.

I was picked up by a salesman who had a recording of the song  " Highway 108"
which was writing by a man who was catch in the pass  and was not able to get
out and froze to death as the story goes.

Lonetrail