[pct-l] Yogi's PCT Book in PDF

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Sun Apr 1 15:05:29 CDT 2007

Jon Danniken wrote:
> [...]

and these god-given maps (which apparently were not created by humans
for the benefit of other humans), which you store in your head, are your
ONLY source of information about the pct?

>> my point is that you yourself are guilty of consulting 3rd party sources
>> as an intermediary between you and the pct, something which you're now
>> condemning on the list.
>

> No.  What I condemned was Yogi writing her book to "...introduce
> long-distance hiking to people who haven't hiked before."

ok, and you're trying to introduce some concepts of self-reliance to
people who have not attempted to be self-reliant before. so why should
we listen to you?

> Comparing a USGS Quad with Yogi's book is like comparing the Farmer's Market
> to a Wal*Mart.

yet both are examples of 3rd party sources enabling others to achieve or
obtain something which, presumably, they themselves would not be able to
achieve/obtain without such assistance.

if i took the position that maps or information of *any* sort is for
tenderfeet who do not belong in the wilderness (and i'm sure there are
folks like this out there), then i could very easily be pigeonholing YOU
the way you're attempting to pigeonhole others here.

> As I have stated before, we should not be making it easier for hikers,
> because the end result will *ONLY* be packing more people on an already
> crowded trail.

if you're concerned about crowding on the trail, i suggest you be the
first to put your money where your mouth is and stay off the pct.

> If you are so hellbent on stomping your big footprint on society to inflate
> your ego-driven sense of altruism, then introduce people to softball or
> bowling, but for the love of God PLEASE leave the PCT alone..

what if i don't happen to have any interest whatsoever in softball or
bowling?

...and speaking of "ego-driven sense of altruism," pot/kettle/black...

gs