[pct-l] I went hiking today...

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Sun Apr 1 22:09:34 CDT 2007

I went hiking today, and judging by what my in-box looks like this
evening I'm sure glad I did. <Delete all>

I day-hiked Mt. San Gorgonio, that large mountain to the north of and
taller than San Jacinto and across from Interstate 10.

I climbed the south side (Vivian Creek Trail for those who care) and
snow was a non-issue on THAT trail. While the first snow appeared around
7,000 feet, it was confined to the west and north-facing slopes. What
the trail I was on crossed was mostly only a couple inches, icy in
morning, and just slightly softer mid-day. There were two gullies about
9,500 feet that had about a foot of snow.

Looking south at the north face of San Jacinto I saw snow in the narrow
gullies descending about one-quarter of the way down from the peak to
the base at the alluvial fan. Note that the north face of San Jac holds
snow very well, so this is encouraging.

I'll leave it to others to make interpretations of what that means for
San Jacinto. (I don't dare GUESS here!) Hopefully someone will hike
Fuller Ridge soon and report back.

AsABat
BTW, "tonto" means "fool" in Spanish.