[pct-l] Yogi's PCT Book in PDF

Brian McLaughlin bmclaughlin at bigplanet.com
Sun Apr 1 23:11:50 CDT 2007

Pea,

Jon's opinions on this matter cannot be defended by
logic or rationality, but I strongly doubt that your
pointing out this fact to him will change his opinions in
this matter. They are strongly felt, and have acquired
a sufficient coloration of logic to protect them from too
close an enquiry from that side. This is usually called
rationalization and we all do it from time to time.

At heart, Jon just wishes that fewer people besides
himself were hiking on the PCT. Any effort that seems
contrary to this desire will not find favor with Jon,
no matter how legitimate, helpful, altruistic or
common sensible they might be.

This is the equivalent to wanting to be the last person
through the Gates of Paradise and getting to lock
them behind you before the OTHER riff-raff gets in --
a not-unusual desire and one I have often felt, but
one I recognize as shamelessly selfish and therefore
I supress.

Just accept this about Jon. It will not change.