[pct-l] Where you at?

Ben Gunderson gunderdawg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 18:04:51 CDT 2007

I got to thinking about how some of the posts on this forum come from
all corners of the country, and in some cases, as far away as Europe.
It seems like the majority of the PCT-l users are, as expected, from
areas closer to the trail.  But nevertheless, support and love for
trail are widespread and it always amazes me how focused and
preoccupied some of us are for a trail so many miles away.  For me,
coming from MI and only touching the surface of the trail on a work
crew many summers ago, it's almost as if the trail is an idea, or a
symbol of a lifestyle that attracts me, more so than the reality of a
physical trail.  Just a little rant before I get to a question that's
been on my mind..

Is there, or rather, how many people on here are from the midwest or
east coast?  Out of the countless people that i've talked to about my
summer plans of thru-hiking the PCT, only a few have ever heard of it
before.  (Don't worry, I am not advertising the PCT!!  If they don't
know what it is then I pull a Peter Griffin and walk away, backwards,
slowly, until i'm out of the scene.)

I know of 3 other people from Michigan who are thru-hiking this
summer- so including my brother and I, that makes 5 of us.  Not a bad
showing from the Great Lakes State.

I'm hoping that I can get a few responses from people who live
furthest from the PCT- and i'm curious as to how they found out about
it.

Also, if anyone has any information on long trails in Europe,
particularly the Alps, I would appreciate any information you have ( I
know nothing about hiking in Europe.)

Ben Gunderson

ps I'm glad I didn't read any of the April Fools emails, what a
debacle it looks like.

--
Ben Jackson Gunderson

(734) 216-2182