[pct-l] Tarp/Bivy Combination in Washington?

Mark Jernigan footslogger03 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 19:42:35 CDT 2007

Appreciate that Steel-eye   ...

  The tarp I plan on carrying has mesh around the lower edges so it has some built-in bug protection.  The Bug Bivy I have is full length with a waterproof bottom surface, so it acts as my tent "floor".

  The combined weight of my shelter items is about 26 ounces.  I could go lighter and drop the bivy but I want the option of sleeping out under the stars when weather permits.

  'Slogger

Steel-Eye <chelin at teleport.com> wrote:
          Good evening, Footslogger,

  I had much the same idea as you.  As a tarp user, I prepared for the possibility that I might want a bug-bivy type of thing.  The bug-bivys I've seen are low but full length.  I wanted something that was about half-length but sufficiently high for me to sit under.  I fabricated such an item from bug net material, and it will either Velcro under the center of the tarp or be separately supported when I sleep under the stars.  It weighs 6.6 oz. with a small stuff sack, which is not as lite as I'd like.  I've used it and it seems to work OK, but I will hold it in reserve at home and use it only if my usual throw-net and/or head net prove inadequate.

  I don't know what your itinerary is, but consider keeping your bug protection until you are mostly through Oregon.  Places like Sky Lakes can be very heavily infested, depending upon the season and how wet it has been.  I've encountered a few bugs in Washington, particularly around Indian Heaven, but most thru-hikers reach that area after the worst bug season.

  Steel-Eye
  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4645