[pct-l] Extra water caches needed on section A

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 12:41:17 CDT 2007

Hey Roni!!!

I like the idea of not having to carry a lot of water too.  This can be a
long hot stretch and that makes carrying less weight MORE attractive
.
If I remember right, there were a couple of questions that would need to be
answered for this question about caches.

Where would the cache go?  Where can a vehicle drive to along this stretch?
Where are the roads private or gated and locked?
Where would a person ask permission?

IF, and I believe the above questions would find big difficulties, if it
were feasible.................................

Putting the water out there would require that a responsible water cacher
return to, police the area and remove the cache when done to insure that NO
empties are left at the cache or in the surrounding areas and the area is
left spotless of any Hikertrash trash.

A difficulty in access and, most important, proper cache care by the cacher
in that remote area.

I have always heard that 2 gallons of water is suggested for that stretch.
For me, that would well cover the two extra that Pea suggests, but 1 1/2
gallons with a cache to top off for emergencies would be a dream in that
area.

I'll see you at the border, Roni, the 21st with my 2 gallons or so of water
just before sunrise.
(Another help is to start hiking as early in the morning as possible)

Warner Springs Monty