[pct-l] Responsible Hiker or Knucklehead

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Mon Apr 9 15:21:30 CDT 2007

> On 10/04/2007, at 5:58 AM, dsaufley at sprynet.com wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, there is probably an extremely low percentage of the
> > Class of '07 on this list, and an equally small number on the '07
> > mail list. This is true every year. I know the ADZ tries to get
> > the message out to hikers about trail etiquette, but I'm willing to
> > bet that the people who need to hear that message are either not
> > present for that lecture or tune it out.

Let's paint the picture a bit more clearly.... the problems caused by the "Class of 2006" were likely the result of a few thru-hikers rather than a large majority of the thru-hikers that made up the Class of 2006.

For the most part, the Class was made up of a wonderful, caring group of responsibile thru-hikers.  And, no, this mind-set in no-way correlated to whether or not they were PCT-L members as far as I could tell.  There were no doubt a small sub-set of individuals that failed to handle their responsibilities in a way that many of us would feel is appropriate, but, this is typical of our society in general.  This lack of responsibility is magnified on the trail as it is very difficult to hide these breaches of etiquette.

I also believe that these breaches of etiquette are more common when the "herd" builds up in mass.  A coincidence?  I doubt it.

Proud to be a member of the class of 2006!

Elevator