[pct-l] Fire east of Walker Pass on Friday 4/6/07

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Apr 9 16:31:25 CDT 2007

According to the 2nd URL article, "The fire was six miles east of Walker Pass, just south of Highway 178, in eastern Kern County". That puts it far to the East and a little south of the PCT crossing at Walker Pass. Winds usually blow from west to east so while this fire may not represent any danger to the trail, the dry conditions and lightening strikes certain imperil the entire trail throughout the area. The fires is 70% contained at this time because it was reported quickly and the response to it was immediate. We got lucky this time.

Bottom line - BE VERY CAREFUL WITH FIRES ON YOUR TREK. California law allows them to charge you for the costs of fighting the fire and for the damage it causes if they can prove it was your fault.