[pct-l] Natural TP

Scott Piddington sp2mtns at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 21:17:39 CDT 2007

Education is the key to Leave-No-Trace ethics. I pose a solution and a question. I've been backpacking for 40 years. I've spent from 10 to 20 weeks a year in the back country on one trail or another for the last 10 years. I thru-hiked the AT in 2004. I've hiked in the Wind River Range, the Whites of NH, the Sierras, the Wemminuche, Glacier, Gates of the Arctic & the Tongass. I have dug lost of cat holes but I haven't used any toilet paper.

Instead I use what nature provides such as:

Leaves (be sure you know what they are)
Spruce or hemlock cones
Smooth sticks
Small, smooth, soft rocks
Snow (the perfect TP)

All this goes in the hole of course. I still carry a little toilet paper for use in the occasional outhouse.

Of course I have no experience in the desert. I'll be starting a PCT thru-hike in a month. Can anyone tell me what is the best natural TP in the desert?

Voyageur