[pct-l] Travelers cheques/checks - summary

Craig Stanton craigstanton at mac.com
Tue Apr 10 05:43:05 CDT 2007

Thanks again to all those that emailed suggestions. Since travelers
seem to be taken as casually as cash (not always asking for proper ID
means any old joker could take them and trade them in), but not taken
every where I have decided against them. I opened an account with
HSBC (who own Household Bank) and have a "Plus" debit card from them
that will only cost me $2.90 USD each time I get money out, assuming
I can find a compatible ATM. I have a credit card with National Bank
who are smart enough to put photos on the card free of charge, so
hopefully if it gets nicked the thief doesn't look anything like me
and gets declined when they try to use it. However using my credit
card in America incurs a 2% fee. Therefore if I am buying something
over $150 USD it is cheaper to withdraw money and pay in cash. See
how easy you locals have it.

As for setting up an American account the regulations there must be a
lot more relaxed that in the UK and NZ. Here we have to prove an
address by way of a drivers license or utility bill. If it is
possible just to nominate any address in the US without proving you
really live there then I wish I'd thought of that sooner.

~Craig