[pct-l] Solution for 2007 Campaign heat

Suzanne Courteau wishfrog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:35:45 CDT 2007

Hola, hikers!

Keeping direct sunlight off your water will help to keep it cool(er);
even something as light as a bandanna or a shirt sleeve helps...and
when you're resting during the heat of the day, keep your water in the
shade. I often park my hat over my Nalgene for this purpose. (And clip
it to the Nalgene with one of those cheapie $1 carabiners to keep the
hat from being blown away!)

If you get the rare opportunity to FREEZE a bottle of water, ahhh, it
feels so nice against your back while hiking in the heat.

Hat with a brim and sunglasses, natch, something to keep the sun off
the back of your neck and the backs of your hands (which can really
fry, even if you're used to being outside a lot)...and if you drink
tea, warm, moist tea bags can help soothe irritated eyelids. They also
make a nice face-wash!

Sorry for the overuse of ellipses and exclamation points: coffee kicking in.

Suzanne Courteau
"Bedouin"

> Message: 12
> Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:25:35 EDT