[pct-l] Warner Springs loop

Rob Langsdorf mctrob at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 13:34:37 CDT 2007

Hi Steve,

    It looks like no one answered your question about he
Warner Springs Loop. The old California Riding and Hiking
Trail (CR&HT) went behind the fire station and school
headed north to Warners. From Warners it went past the
chapel and headed west to cross Agua Caliente Creek and
then follow the Indian Flats Road up the hill.

    When the PCT was built it followed the Canada Verde
Creek under the Highway 79 bridge near the fire station. It
went around the south side of the golf course and then
north to cross under the Highway 79 Bridge over Agua
Caliente Creek. Most through hikers hike the road rather
than either the old CR&HT or the PCT between these two
Highway 79 crossing.

    Years ago I led a Sunday afternoon stroll to finally
bag this section of the PCT. We parked near the Warner
Springs gas station. Since the old CR&HT has been removed
through the Warner Springs Resort property we had to
wandered north on Highway 79 across Canada Agua Caliente.
There we took an old road up to the chapel and picked up
the old CR&HT. It was easy to follow west for a while.
About 0.2 miles east of Agua Caliente Creek the roads and
trails become confusing and the growth around the creek
makes it a challenge to follow the old route across the
creek. Once across the Creek you hit the PCT. There we
turned south and wandered through the Warners Resort
Campground to find the trail around the south side of the
golf course. It leads nicely east to Highway 79. After
passing under the highway and walking to the back of the
fire station, you should be able to find the old CR&HT,
which will take you back to a point on Highway 79 about a
block south of the gas station.

    So, if you want to be a PCT purist, you need to do this
loop hike (in the reverse of the route I have described) as
an afternoon stroll on a Nero day at Warner Springs.

         Rob

<<What the heck is the crazy warner springs loop y'all
talkin' 'bout ??

steve>>