[pct-l] Alternative Letter to BLM re Golden Oak Springs

Jon Danniken danniken at comcast.net
Thu Apr 12 22:34:38 CDT 2007

I'm pasting a couple of letters here addressed to two people with the BLM in
Bakersfield because there are a small number of people who are expecting a
handout on the trail.  That they expect the government to help them in their
sport is over the line, and if beyond the scope of common sense.

There are two letters here so please scroll down.

Please pass it on to other groups and concerned citizens.

Patricia Gradek - Field Office manager

USDI - Bureau of Land Management

3801 Pegasus Dr.

Bakersfield, CA  93308

661-391-6131

Dear Ms. Gradek,

I would like to take this opportunity to remind you that hiking the Pacific
Crest Trail is not a mandatory activity for those who partake it.  As such,
it is incumbent upon each individual hiker to prepare herself for the
challenges which it presents.

As concerns the government providing and maintaining water sources for
hikers, this would a terrible waste of our tax dollars.  Additionally, it
would rob the hikers of the very experience which they seek on the trail,
namely, to endeavor upon a self-sufficient voluntary trek across the Western
United States.

A few hikers, unfortunately, see this issue differently, and will be issuing
correspondance to your office pleading with you to provide them with water
sources, and to maintain same.

I, as well as many other individuals, do not feel that it is the
responsibility of the government to compensate for unprepared hikers.  Your
office is no more responsible to maintain water souces along the PCT as it
is to maintain the PCT to be free from snow and ice, a position which I am
certain that your constituents would agree with.

I urge you to resist their dire pleadings, in favor of reminding yourself
the common sense that those who hike this trail do so on their own volition,
and as such, have no right, despite their own inability to provide for their
own recreational needs, to become dependant upon tax dollars provided by
hardworking Americans.

Additionally, it deserves to be said that the majority of PCT hikers do not
need, nor appreciate a handout, and are fully equipped to deal with the
uncertainties of the trail, including dry springs.

Sincerely,

Diane Simpson - Outdoor Recreation Planner

Bureau of Land Management

3801 Pegasus Dr.

Bakersfield, CA  93308

661-391-6120