[pct-l] Fuels and Fires and Bears, oh my!

david rehm davidarehm at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 00:13:10 CDT 2007

Dear forum folk,
  I am looking for the skinny on stove fuel, fire permits and bear protection

  Fuels: In my research i have bumped into a number of people saying that some fuels are hard to get resupplied in town and most or all cannot be mailed to a resupply point.  Is there a "best fuel" to take along the PCT for a thru hike?  One that can be resupplied fairly easily?  and how would i go about getting it resupplied?

  Fire Permits: Does anyone know what areas I need a fire permit for? is it just in National Parks?  I dont plan on having very many but I dont want to cause any problems when i do.

  Bear Protection:  My general understanding is that as long as im not approaching bears in a non-platonic way, i should not have any problems.  If i use bear canisters and bear bags, do i need to take along any bear spray?

  Thank you very much for your time and consideration
  Dave