[pct-l] Fuels and Fires and Bears, oh my!

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 13 21:26:18 CDT 2007

> From: david rehm <davidarehm at yahoo.com>

>   Fuels:
Gasoline or white gas are the most readily available if you have a
multi-fuel gas stove. Most don't use these because of the weight of the
stove.
Alcohol is next on the availability list. The stoves are lightweight and
cheap, so many use this option.
Isobutane canisters are available at various points, but there are gaps
along the trail where they are not available. I used a canister for the
full length of the trail but it required a little extra planning.
Esbit and other solid fuel is available at various stops. I'm not sure how
often, I saw it on occasion but wasn't looking for it.
Each option has advantages and disadvantages.

Denatured alcohol, isobutane canisters and Esbit are considered hazardous
materials by the post office. They can be shipped via surface mail when
packaged and labeled appropriately.

>   Fire Permits:
A California Fire Permit is required for campfire or stove use outside of
developed campgrounds or picnic areas subject to local restrictions. Note
that in Section A Cleveland National Forest never allows campfires in the
back country and you will likely encounter other areas of special
restrictions.

>   Bear Protection:
I wouldn't carry bear spray.

Frank