[pct-l] hiking and ACL

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Apr 15 14:53:04 CDT 2007

A little off topic.

A friend of mine has been a nationally ranked volleyball player in his
age group starting in his 20s.  About five years ago he found he had to
do too much Vitamin I or stronger drugs to play.  He still got up for
tournaments.  Both ankles had been sprained too many times, and one was
just worn out.

The last time I visited him he was barely able to walk - 100 yards, let
alone play volleyball.  He'd been talking to an orthopedist down at
STanford who said that he could have his foot and ankle amputated and
have a prosthetic device put in place that would allow him to walk and
perhaps even play volleyball and tennis.

My friend is still limping, but the attractiveness of this option is
growing.  He's had numerous surgeries and now apparently there is little
that can be done to reconstruct.

A grim reminder that an active lifestyle can prematurely wear out body
parts...

Jeff Olson
martin, SD