[pct-l] SuperSecrests of Backpacking - Anti Heat

arm chair armchairhiker at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 20:01:53 CDT 2007

You can use any thing with a hose. Platy, Camelbak etc.

Just cut to hose and insert the filter.

My set up is both a hydration system and gravity feed filter.

First is a 4 liter Platypus Tanker, 3-4 inches of hose, an MSR silt filter,
2 feet of hose, Sawyer's inline Purifier (big brother to their regular
filter, the purifier removes viruses), then 1-2 feet of hose to a bite
valve.

In operation: Stop a water source, unzip the tanker, scoop up 1,2,3 or 4
liters of "untreated" water, zip the tanker. Now I can just put it in my
pack and hike on. Used this way is same as a hydration bladder. The
"untreated" water is filtered as I drink.

Use the same set up as a gravity feed filter. Just remove the bite valve,
put hose into another bottle / bladder, raise the tanker up (usually hang on
branch or just hold it up), the water goes from the tanker into my extra
bottle / bladders etc.

As a gravity feed system: say I need 7 liters for the next section. Tanker
holds 4, 1 coke bottle (2 liters), a second platypus (say a 2 liter one).
Just fill the extra containers and refill the tanker with 3 liters instead
of all the way to 4 liters. Since the tanker has the hose and say I want to
use the hose on a different platypus bladder just use a platypus cap on the
tanker (it becomes a backup) and attach the hose system to the 2 liter
platypus bladder. So you filter the water twice - no big deal. OR you can
carry a second hose with bite valve (but that weighs more then).

The Normal Sawyer filter SP120 is about 3 ounces (dry) and the SP130
Purifier is about 5-7 ounces (dry).

If you care for a picture - just ask.

Havin' fun,
- armchair