[pct-l] sending water report via pocketmail

AsABat asabat at cox.net
Mon Apr 16 01:36:58 CDT 2007

For those with support at home, this would be great for them to do, as they know best when you will be where. Otherwise, hopefully someone will come through for you.

I would suggest making sure that you send the emails as plain text and not as HTML. Using Outlook, I would Paste->Special->Unformatted text.

As of today the water report is fairly complete (but always needing updating) from the border to Deep Creek, with bits and pieces thereafter, including a fair amount of info on Sections E and F. All this happens by hikers sending reports. A big thanks to those early hikers who have done so.

I sometimes get asked when are the reports updated. Answer: whenever I can. I update fairly often in April and May (twice today!). There's no schedule, there just has to be something to add and time to do it. Updates are a little less frequent later in summer both because reports slow as the herd moves on and because I may be on the trail.

I have thought of changing the water report site to a plain text file rather than the neat orderly tables. If I did the report would look more like what I've posted at the bottom of this message. The map page and mileage still line up, but the rest just runs together, although each entry does start on a new line. The current formatted table is easy to read, but has a lot of empty space on the page and doesn't email well to pocketmail etc. The unformatted text file emails easier, prints on fewer pages, and downloads fasater, but isn't as pretty. I'd appreciate feedback on this - send replies to me only and not the whole list. If I change it, it would be one or the other - too much effort to keep both versions going.

AsABat
http://pct.4jeffrey.net
Upates to water at 4jeffrey.net or the PCT-L

Sample of a possible text version:

A1  1.1  Juvenile Ranch Facility  Faucet by road behind sign at main entrance and others 30 yards to each side at grass.  11/28/06  WS Monty
A1  1.3  Campo  Town - Faucet & Store  -  -
A1  ~2.5  Campo Crk (seasonal)  no water  4/13/07  BillB
A1  4.3  Creeklet (early spring)  water flowing about 1 inch deep (~2.5 mi after railroad)  4/13/07  BillB
A3  ~12.7  Creek (seasonal)  no water  4/13/07  BillB
A3  16.0  Hauser Creek (early spring)  dry "though there is a note from a hiker on 4/7 that says there were small pools a short distance up-stream. I did not go to investigate."  4/13/07  BillB
A3  20.6  Lake Morena Campground  Water, showers  -  -
A5  24.6  Cottonwood Creek Bridge (early spring)  no water (N on PCT 1/4 mile there is water in the creek, visible from trail, no need to bushwack  4/13/07  BillB
A5  26.0  Cottonwood Creek bed (usually dry)  water  4/13/07  BillB
A5  26.4  Boulder Oaks Campground - USFS  Campground closed until June for Arroyo Toad breeding season. (Spigot water is on 4/13 per BillB.)  4/8/07  USFS web
Faucet is on short brown post across first dirt road the PCT meets in camp. A second faucet is on a tall brown post a little ways further along the road.
A5  26.5  Boulder Oaks Store Closed permanently
A5  ~26.8  Kitchen Creek near I-8  flowing  3/31/07  Ma & Pa K
A5  ~30  Kitchen Creek (100 feet below trail)  flowing  3/31/07  Ma & Pa K