[pct-l] bank accounts and ATMs

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 11:56:53 CDT 2007

I am about a week behind on reading the daily digest so this may be irrelevant by now, but anyway my 2 centavos worth.

  I recently opened a bank account totally by internet with Capital One and thought that might be an option for those out of the U.S. It is, but only for U.S. residents. Here is what they say:

  Customer eligibility
Accounts are available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. We reserve the right to require a permanent U.S. address to open and maintain the account.
  Information required for new accounts
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires that all financial institutions obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. What this means for you: When you apply for an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth and other information that will allow us to identify you.

  If there is anyone who fits this description, it is a great option. The account can be funded by wire transfer or direct bank transfer (maybe only from U.S. banks).

  I also have a savings account in Peru with Banco de la Nacion, which is the national bank here, (not private). They have recently started offering ATM cards that are Visa ATM cards and can be used anywhere in the world. Their previous ATM cards could only be used in their machines. You might check and see if your bank (or another one) offers a Visa ATM card.

  Most ATMs impose a service charge if it is not connected with your bank's network in some way. It is usually cheaper to get cash back from a store purchase, or you can get cash with a purchase in U.S. Post Offices, although many of the smaller ones that you will find on the PCT don't carry much cash.

  Sugar Daddy

  Interested in a South American Adventure? I have started an Adventure Travel Business in Peru.
  http://www.adventurecotahuasi.com

  Check out my yahoo blog for stories and pictures of my PCT hike:
  http://360.yahoo.com/vichansonperu

  Check out my MSN blog for current and past photos and stories of my adventures in Peru:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/vichanson/