[pct-l] Vincent Gap to Islip Saddle - Water and Trail Conditions

Steve Schumm steveschummdds at msn.com
Mon Apr 16 23:17:13 CDT 2007

I hiked from Vincent Gap to Islip Saddle on Saturday (04-14-07) and noted the following:

Water - Lamel Spring - pool under wire grating is near full but not overflowing, clear and looks good. Small seep
                               slightly downhill and 1 to 2 foot thick icy snow (dirty) in gully past "Designated Trail"
                               marker 40 meters SW.

           Little Jimmy Spring - good flow out of pipe (several gallons per minute), cool, clear and great
                                       tasting.

Trail - Vincent Gap to Baden-Powell Spur Trail - trail is in excellent condition, several patches of icy snow
                                                                which are easily traversed or circumvented.
         B-P Spur Trail to Little Jimmy Trail Camp - tread is in good condition - about 15 blow downs (I lost
                                                                  count) with the first encountered just W. of Mt. Burnham
                                                                  and becoming more frequent between Mt. Hawkins and
                                                                  Throop Peak. Most can be stepped over with 4 being large
                                                                  enough to require climbing over or going around (easily enough
                                                                  done). 2 are located just W. of Little Jimmy Spring.
         Little Jimmy TC to Islip Saddle - trail is in good condition, a few spots of slight overgrowth, 2 small
                                                    blow downs.

I did not check out Lily Spring or Windy Spring. Conditions are already very dry in the forest. There were snow flurries on both Sat. and Sun. but not enough accumulation to mention. Sorry I can't be more specific on the location of the blow downs (I don't use a GPS) but all are easily negotiated.

Steve