[pct-l] Parking/transportation at South Lake TH & Onion Valley TH

Chris Mills christopher.s.mills at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 12:28:44 CDT 2007

Hi,

I'm planning a trip in the latter part of June to hike from Bishop pass,
then south along the JMT (with some side trips) then out at Kearsarge.  I'll
be coming from out of state, and I was wondering:

1.  What regulations are in place regarding parking at these trailheads? Do
I need some sort of pass?

2.  Can anyone suggest good transportation options for getting from the
Onion Valley TH parking lot to the South Lake TH?  I know there is a bus
service from Independence to Bishop, but I am concerned about the getting
from the towns to the trail heads.  How busy will the trail heads be in late
June?  Is hitching liable to be a really time consuming endeavor?  Both our
entry and exit dates will be on weekdays, not weekends.

Thanks,
Hiker 816