[pct-l] Kickoff Pedicure

Mark Jernigan footslogger03 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 15:29:49 CDT 2007

Well    ..if you put it that way I guess I'll go ahead and keep them then.

  Gonna work on scratching my wife's back with my toenails !!

  'Slogger

Len Glassner <len5742 at gmail.com> wrote:
  Toes - off with their heads!

1. What is the purpose of a toenail, anyway?

Nails are composed of keratin – the same protein that makes up hair.
The nails are just a more compact and hard form. Unlike common wisdom,
nails do not protect the very sensitive tip of the fingers or toes. If
you were to have a nail removed, the skin under the nail would harden
in a few days and it wound not be sensitive. The two official purposes
of the nail are for support to pick up little objects and, believe it
or not, scratching.

Nails support the back of the finger and toe pads. This gives the tips
of the fingers and toes enough firmness that we can pick up objects
like paper clips and jellybeans. If you argue that we, as humans, do
not pick things up with our toes, I will agree. But the design is very
apparent if you look at what apes and monkeys can accomplish with
their feet. Theirs are shaped like hands, with opposable big toes, and
they do pick things up with their feet and toes

The second purpose of nails is to scratch. Without your nails
scratching would not be the very satisfying experience you have come
to know and expect. Scratching is especially important in the animal
kingdom. At your next visit to the zoo watch how the non-human
primates pick nits and other small vermin off of each other using
their fingers and toes.

A third reason is to keep podiatrists busy. We see many ingrown nails.

http://www.zfootdoc.com/serv03.htm