[pct-l] Journals at Postholer.Com

ed faubert edfaubert at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 22:59:03 CDT 2007

Thanks for the post, i laughed so hard i almost was crying tears.............Or as Patrick Swazey said to Whoppie in "Ghost", What a crock!
  Meadow Ed

"Eric Lee (GAMES)" <elee at microsoft.com> wrote:
  I wrote:

But Postholer.com does run advertising on the site. I imagined, after his commentary above, that Scott was actually paying for his hosting and bandwidth costs out of pocket, not expecting any reimbursement, just for the sheer love of the trail. Turns out that's not the case. Hmmm, kind of tarnishes the whole "holier-than-thou" attitude.

Oh, wait, it's worse than I thought. That's not just some random third-party advertising that Scott's running on Postholer.com; it's advertising for his OWN COMPANY! He has purchase links that go to his OWN COMPANY right on the front page! Yes, Scott owns PeakGeek.com. He used to include both URLs in his signatures here on PCT-L, but as of August last year he quietly made that fact disappear.

Now I have absolutely no problem with people trying to defray expenses they generate while doing things for the PCT or thru-hikers. I don't even have a problem with people getting a reasonable return for their work. I think that's totally fair, whether it's ADZPOCTKOP or the Handbook or Postholer.com. No problems.

But I do have a *SERIOUS* problem with guys who take potshots at people for trying to defray their expenses or earn a reasonable return in an honest, up-front sort of way and then do EXACTLY the same thing except in an underhanded, sneaky sort of way,

Scott, either put up or shut up. Either remove all references to peakgeek.com from postholer.com so it's totally non-commercial and keeps your hands out of those poor thru-hiker's wallets, or stop all these snide remarks about other people defraying their own expenses. Either way, I don't much care. But be honest about it, please!

Would you feel more friendly to the ADZPOCTKOP organizers if they stopped asking for donations from non-thru-hiker attendees and instead put up a giant 10-foot-long PeakGeak.com banner at the entrance to the campground? Would that somehow be less commercialized? Better for you, maybe. But I personally think that asking for donations and volunteer help is WAY less commercialized than using a informational web site to drive traffic to your business web site (and not even warning people that they're run by the same guy!)

I think Postholer.com is a great site. I'm glad you're investing in the community. But why in the world are you generating revenue off of it and then slandering everyone else who does the same?

My apologies to the list for probably starting another off-topic flame war. :-(

Eric
unsubscribe or change options: