[pct-l] Snow in OR and WA

Jo Pegrum Hazelett joph at piedmontbsa.org
Mon Apr 23 11:53:58 CDT 2007

I realize all the thru hikers are getting ready for the big hike but some of
us section hikers are getting ready for the season too!

Can anyone in the Portland area (or anyone who knows the area) tell me what
the possibility of a hike on May 12 from Little Crater Lake (elev 3230 ft)
to Barlow Pass (elev 4157 ft)is? Is there snow there now and is it likely to
still be there then (yes, I know we can get more snow anyway), but we'd like
to get an idea.

Also, we are considering hiking the next section from Barlow Pass (elev 4157
ft) to White Pass (elev 4405 ft)from June 30 to July 8. this section tops
out at elev 6680 ft. Can anyone in that area give me an idea of what the
conditions are like there now, and project the possibility of doing this at
that time of year? We can hike through some snow, but are not interested in
slogging through miles and miles of it!

Thank you in advance for any info/advice you can give.

(list lurker) Jo