[pct-l] Health insurance?

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 21:00:12 CDT 2007

So - A-train  asks about insurance, and I dug up the
following posts.  Hope that one or ther other is
helpful.

Kent

In the last couple months there was mention on the
list about temporary health insurance that people
found.  I'm not able to find it in the archives.  Does
anyone remember when that was or what the companies
mentioned were called?  Thanks a lot

A-train

###############

Mon, 26 Mar 2007

I get annual travel insurance from Access America for
$254 which is good for trips more than 100
miles from your home up to 90 days.  After that you
can get other insurance through Travel guard,
but that generally costs about $100 per every
additional month. The Access America insurance covers
$20K for emergency medical or dental, $100K for
emergency medical transportation--think helicopter
evac. in Nepal or the Sierras, $1K for baggage loss or
damage with a $500 limit on electronics and
cameras, $200 for bag delay, $500 for travel
delay---not your personal delay, $300K flight
insurance-you do not collect, just your heirs, and
$25K for vehicle collision/loss damage.  Two years ago

I collected on a claim when I sprained my ankle coming
into Ashland.  They paid for the taxi ride
from the ER to the hotel the hospital found for me, a
night at the hotel, the taxi to the Medford
Airport as well as the rental car I used for a one way
drive home.  They would not provide any medical
coverage like physical therapy and follow up medical
treatment once I got home--remember it is just travel
insurance.  My Blue Cross covered the ER expenses and
the follow up treatment.

Hoov

##############################

The question came up about insurance for thru-hikers,
and Ben recommended
the American Alpine Club
(http://www.americanalpineclub.org/) --- I don't
promise this is a precise quote, but he said it's the
best (worldwide)
outdoor evacuation insurance you can have --- and that
initial evacuation
and associated costs can be very high if you end up in
a situation where you
need evacuation.