[pct-l] Warner Spring Loop After Action Report

carol bruno carolwbruno at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 22:29:59 CDT 2007

Sounds like quite an adventure; glad you made it ok and survived to attend another kick-off.  Cheers, can'tquit

hiker97 at aol.com wrote:  Yes, your pal Switchback has cheated death once again.  Another death defying feat on the PCT.  On Wednesday morning, GotaGo (Linda), StoneDancer (Alice), and Switchback (Switchback) defied logic, safety, and a cruel death to hike the infamous Warner Springs PCT Loop.

   We left at 7:30 AM from the golf course coffee shop.  As we hiked south along the highway coming north into Warner Springs, we soon came to the Warner Springs cut off trail to the PCT.  Several groups of thru hikers were coming in on this trail to Warner Springs after many adventures in Section A.  GotaGo and StoneDancer pulled away from me as they quickly settled into their thru hiker pace.  Of course, I let them do this just in case there was some unknown dangers ahead.  I could have kept up with them, but did not want to show off.

   The morning was great.  Very nice.  After I recrossed the highway and started the loop in earnest I could see my partners far far ahead.  Off to the right was the golf course back nine.  I came over a rise and there before me were the dreaded mutant saber tooth mountain lions in the distance.  I bravely pushed ahead as any hard core backpacker would do.  As I got closer the lions turned out to be domestic cattle grazing along the trail.  This is a good thing, because I had some nasty tricks for the lions if I should happen to come across any.

   About a quarter a mile from rejoining the highway going south into Warner Springs, I came to a large campground.  At one point the trail turns sharply left as it makes for the highway.  In a camp ground clearing left of the trail there is the largest oak tree I have ever seen along a trail.  It was a super monster.  It stopped me dead in my tracks.  I wondered why this tree was not famous like Eagle Rock just prior to Warner Springs along PCT.  It certainly deserves that type of notoriety.  Wow.

   As soon as I hit the highway, I started to hitchhike the half mile back to Warner Springs Resort.  About 3 hundred yards from the coffee shop, I got a ride from a young woman.  As I got into her car, I said, "Any ride is a good ride, thanks."

   Soon I was in the coffee shop again with my trail partners recovering from our big adventure and challenges along the PCT that morning.  We left at 7:30 and I returned about 9:45.  Another successful and dangerous expedition completed.

   Faithfully and accurately reported.

   Your pal, Switchback the Trail Pirate
   PS: I will be leaving soon from Warner Springs Resort to drive down to the Kickoff at Lake Morena.  I have to set up my table, etc.  So, I will be back on the List with the Kickoff After Action Report on Sunday when I get back home.