[pct-l] Kickoff Discovery and Place Names

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Apr 29 18:53:22 CDT 2007

I had many  adventures this week at Warners Springs and at the Kickoff at
Lake Morena.   An After Action Report will be posted soon.
But the  biggest thrill for me was the discovery of the Mt. Everest  size oak
tree over near Warner Springs.  This is just a quarter mile south on the PCT
from the highway going into Warner Springs from the north (it is on the
Warner  Springs Monty Loop of the PCT -- see below).  This is a little hiked
section the PCT and is now known as the mysterious Warner Springs Loop  section of
the PCT.  The tree is in a clearing in a campground area.   It is on the north
side of the trail --- you will not miss it.
By right of discovery I have named this monster  tree, the Clinton C. Clarke
Tree.  He was a giant in establishing the PCT, so it is appropriate some
things  along the PCT have names for him.  It is all the better that it is
something giant too, like him.
Also, I have renamed the 1.5 mile  PCT loop around Warner Springs, the Warner
Springs Monty Section of the  PCT.  That means Monty has to maintain this
part of the trail.   And he has to keep it clear of all mountain lions and other
forms of danger to  PCT hikers.
I thank you for your  attention.
Switchback the Geography Place  Namer
PS: By the way, I have the support of Yogi and  others in naming that tree.