[pct-l] 2007 Kickoff After Action Report – Part One

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 04:19:33 CDT 2007

The Kickoff was a blast!  Well done to Strider the WagonMaster and all the
others.  Great job.  It was great to see  Meadows Ed and all the others.  What a
great community.
This report picks up after the Warner Springs after Action Report and the
successful; Warner Springs PCT Loop expedition, plus the significant discovery
of the giant Sequoia type oak tree – The Clinton C. Clarke Tree.  This After
Action Report will be in  several parts.  This is part  one.
I check out of Warner Springs Resort on Thursday morning and drive  to Julian
to do a little shopping.  I always buy some things for my wife when I go on a
road trip.  Any smart husband does this.  I got her a Vera Bradley purse and
accessories.  I also bought some  chocolate macaroons to distribute at
Pioneer Mail Campground and to hikers at  Mt. Laguna.  I do not think they were as
popular as  the pies I bought last year.  I  think next year I will just get
pie tarts to pass out.
I see Super Female Terminator Leadership Type (liquid metal model)  PCTA
Executive Director Liz Bergeron as I drive into Lake Morena Park.  Every time I
see her it makes me  uneasy.  We just quickly nod our  heads at each other as a
sign of grudging recognition.  We did the same thing at the PCTA  TrailFest
several years ago at Riverside, CA,  when I was on the program.  It is  like old
rivals down at the pool hall, who are weary of each other.  The other one
needs watching from a  distance.  I step on the gas pedal  to make distance
between her and me.  She obliviously is not going to be a Pirate Lair customer.
I get down to Lake Morena and am assigned to campsite number  22 with
Lawrence, Chef Paul, La Zorra (from the February Grand Canyon  expedition), and her
friend Luppie Lou.  My first impression is that this is a nice non threatening
group, but had  potential for trouble.  I would have  to see what I can do to
promote this.  Both La Zorra and Luppie Lou turn out to be a blast to party
with.  Each has a great sense of  humor.  La Zorra is definitely an  expert
hiker.  Chef Paul is a gear  manufacturer from back east and is great to talk to
about the hiker  community.
I go around and look at the vendors and their products.  I buy some neat new
stuff, like a pack  cover, rain skirt, and new rain mitts made out of Frogg
Togg material.  This is cool.  More gear and more weight for the old  pack.
Later La Zorra and I try to convince Brian of ULA to take my old  ULA pack in
on trade, so she can get a new pack.  We chase him around the campground, but
 he always stays one step ahead of us.  So, we donated it to the Silent
Auction and it brings $47.  Previously, when GotaGo saw that my old  ULA pack had
the name "Switchback" sewed on it, she wanted her name on her ULA  pack too.  I
also donate some books  to the Silent Auction.
I go to Majors dinner in Pine Valley each morning for breakfast.  I like to
relax and read the paper.  Very nice.  I can take my time and watch the locals
come and go.  I do this every  year.  I either eat at  Pine Valley or get
something from the market in Lake Morena for all my meals at the  Kickoff.  I
figure the volunteers  have enough to do without feeding me too.  Besides I feed
everyone with Pringles and hikers snacks at the Pirate  Table.  J
Say, before I forget, the guy up at the Mt. Laguna store said that some
hikers came  off the trail there and said they had enough of hiking.  A limo from
LA came up to pick them up  and drive them back to LA.  Nice  service.  One of
the guys had a  buddy who owned a limo service.
StoneDancer uses my new Hubba tent Thursday night and I sleep in  my SUV.
She is waiting for her tent  to arrive at the campground.  I  notice a tall
person go over to my tent at night and attach something to  it.  In the morning it
is a notice  to appear in the local court for pirate activity.  I tape this
notice to my Pirate Table  for everyone to see.  Later in the  day I go over to
the 2002 compound and attach a pirate flag to their  banner.  Harassment is
fun (just ask  AsABat and Switchback).  GotaGo and  Yogi get on both sides of
my face at the entry booth and have their picture  taken supposedly kissing my
cheeks.
Now understand this scene.  I am peacefully minding my own business in my
lounge chair at the  Pirate's table under the cool shady trees.  Several others
are there too as we relax and quietly goof off.  All at once Yogi is
approaching the  Pirate's Lair.  She looks tentative  and almost like a bear does when
circling your campsite.  She is carrying a short aluminum tent  pole, which she
swings back and forth.  It is obvious she wants something, but has noting
visible to barter.  Earlier, I had made her a  Switchback World Famous Handsfree
Umbrella Holder, since she is carrying a  GoLite Chrome Dome umbrella on her
hike.
She opens with innocent conversation as she plays with the pole in  her
hands.  I am now getting  scared.  Eventually she says, "Do  want to see something
that only one other person in the world has seen?"  When a woman burst in on
your peaceful  campsite and says something like that, then bells are going off
in your head;  "Danger!", "Danger!", "Alert!", "Alert!".  And a man naturally
also thinks, "How much is this going to cost  me?"
Before I can respond, she rolls up the front of her blouse  exposing her
belly area.  Luckily  she stops rolling at that point.  Then she does a belly type
dance thing with her stomach.  It rolls around and around, up and  down.  We
are all in silence after  what seems a long time, then she rolls her blouse
down.  The only thing I can think of to say is,  "Why didn't you warn me, so I
could have put my sun glasses on?  I could  have used some eye protection."
(only kidding)
Anyway, now that she figures that she as introduced herself to  everyone and
has now paid for any services rendered from the Pirate table, she  asks me to
do something to make her black tent pole reflective.  So, with trembling hands
I put some  reflective tape in it and cover that with clear tape for a little
 protection.  Then off she goes, I  guess, to barter somewhere else.  I
think I understand now why she is so successful in getting hitchhikes along the
trail to go to and from town.  All this and Yogi is a nice conservative  sweet
hiker too.
This the end of part one of the After Action Report.
Respectfully submitted.
Switchback the Trail Pirate