[pct-l] The Dark Side of "Survivor Man" & "Man Versus Wild"

Dcsmith36 at aol.com Dcsmith36 at aol.com
Mon Aug 13 18:15:15 CDT 2007

In case you aren't familiar with these Discovery Channel  series, they
involve "stranding" a survival expert in the wilds somewhere &  filming his
escape/eventual rescue.  The series are quite entertaining and  informative, but I had
never considered their dark side until I read the  letter about the
Survivalist who planned to live in the woods with no food  provisions and minimal
supplies.

Now, this is America and all, but I believe that surviving off  the land is
intended for people who accidentally find themselves in genuinely  dire
straights. Lost hikers, airplane crash survivors, escaped kidnap victims  etc...

A person who consciously decides to break the law (killing  protected wild
animals and game out of season without permits or licence) has no  regard for
wild places, in my opinion, and is to be strongly discouraged from  pursuing
his/her back to nature fantasy's.

We've spent years encouraging the Leave No  Trace ethic, and I can't imagine
anything further from  this principle than surviving "off the land" - building
illegal campfires (  uhhh..it's summer dude...forest fire? ), rooting up
random plants and flowers in  the hope that they are edible, and snaring,
stabbing, or shooting any piece of  wild protein that crosses his/her path in an
effort to stave off self-imposed  starvation.

Like I said, I don't begrudge this for any person who needs to  do it to save
their life, but as a way for people to entertain  themselves or "prove"
something, no way.

I would hate to see this become a fad or rite of  passage, or a kind of
extreme lightweight backpacking (Look at me! I  hiked the PCT with only a piece of
flint and a Bowie knife!)

Fortunately, living off the land is usually pretty miserable  and there is
probably  good reason hikers sleep in tents/tarps &  bring their own food - the
woods suck when you are cold, wet &  starving.

Beernuts