[pct-l] Transitions lenses for thru-hike?

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Aug 15 16:54:55 CDT 2007

I don't have prescription transition lenses, but I use non-prescription transition lenses for my outdoor activities (biking, hiking, horses, skiing, etc.)

Without wearing a hat, I find transitions to be much better than regular sunglasses, because they adjust to the light conditions I'm in -- from brilliant mid-afternoon sun to the flat light of late afternoon.  I wear them right up until dark.  I used to have to change lenses to get the same benefits.

If I'm wearing a hat, the hat blocks the sun, so the lenses don't change because the sun is not hitting them. The same is true for driving my car.  Because the sun doesn't shine directly on the lenses (either blocked by the roof or the factory-tinted windows), the transition lenses don't change and are ineffective for blocking the brightness that bothers my eyes.  So I use regular sunglasses for driving, and transition lenses for sport.

Hope that helps . . .

L-Rod