[pct-l] Transitions lenses for thru-hike?

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Wed Aug 15 21:54:25 CDT 2007

I have wonderful eyesight - considering I had two cornea transplants and
wear both contacts and reading glasses, it's a wonder I can see. (I
wonder why they named me AsABat?)

I find contacts to be little more trouble than at home, excepting the
slightly greater possibility of losing a lens taking it out at night. I
mitigate that by getting real close to the tent floor when I take them
out over my bandana.

The weight of contact supplies on the website quoted sounds high. I
carry my contact lens case in a small stuff sack with my other bathroom
stuff and a two-ounce bottle of all-in-one solution. I also carry a
spare pair of lenses in the tiny case they came in (I use RGP (hard)
lenses) and regular eyeglasses.

I second the idea that Transitions lenses probably aren't dark enough
above tree line and on snow. I wear my contacts and have some glacier
glasses I bought at REI that block 95% of visible light. My eyes are
much more sensitive to light than most people - there aren't many indoor
portraits of me with my eyes open.

AsABat