[pct-l] SuperSecrets of Backpacking

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Aug 16 02:13:23 CDT 2007

Yes, once again, your pal, Switchback, comes through for you.

Most backpackers use rubber bands for their gear trail needs.  But too  often
these bands break or get lost.  When I pull into camp I always look  around
for trash left behind, so I can pick it up in my trash bag.  One of  the most
frequent forgotten items are rubber bands.

Go down to the local office equipment store, like Office Max or Office
Depot, and get some colored heavy duty rubber bands.  They are much better  than
the normal kind and much easier to see.  Also, I got some large red  color bands
too.  I like to use these on my foam pad when I first roll it  up.  Then I
put on the Velcro straps to attach it to my pack.  Much  easier to handle my pad
this way.

By the way, I will be in Lone Pine, CA this Saturday at the Dow  Motel.  I
will go up to the Whitney Portal parking lot to sleep Sunday  night and start
hiking Monday.  I hope to see the sunset on top on Thursday  evening and the
sunrise Friday morning.  My legs feel a little weak, but at  least my knees are
not hurting right now.  I figure my chances are 50-50 at  best, but being a
hard core backpacker, no problem.

Switchback, Mt. Whitney Expedition